22 March 2011

Days 9/10/11

What is one change, big or small, that you've had to deal with lately? Was it hard? Why or why not?

I've been trying to wear pants that fit me better. It's hard (wait, was that a joke question, Gina?) because I have short legs. If my legs were an animal (living or dead) appendage, they would be T-Rex arms for sure. Except my legs can support my body weight (i.e. I can walk); T-Rex surely could not do arm-stands. That being said, I'd say that trying to find pants that fit me is one of the big changes in my life that I'm trying to deal with right now. I'd appreciate some distance right now, thanks.


What is one recent sign that you're really and truly an adult?

I'm also trying real hard to run a marathon. I've signed up for a race (Stillwater!), got myself a training plan, and found a group of occasional running buddies, and bought myself some new shoes. The last time I ran one was when I was 20 and so full of spit and gumption that I didn't run at all the month before the race. I just drove to Duluth, slept at a buddy's house, and ran the fucker. I definitely paid for it with some bloody nips and the inability to walk for a few days, but I did it. Now, persistent aches and pains (most recently, bouts with achilles tendonitis) that flare up when my training ramps up have made me realize that whatever youthful vigor I possessed is now long-gone. I feel as though I may be destined to bring up the rear of the race, with the nice older ladies and their cheerful balloons, chatting me up as I wave at the tiring crowd as the sag wagon bears down on me at a glacial pace, the bored teenage drivers inside the wagon throwing me eye-daggers as I stagger towards the finish line. My time: DNF.

I complain to my dad and he just laughs, "Just wait 'till you're 50."

Also, the girls I tend to date all seem to think that I act like an old man. So what if I like to go to dinner at Perkins at 4:30? The wait is shorter and the waitresses are older at 4:30. Plus, my dates get to hear war stories over decaf coffee -- what more could a girl ask for?

What is one recent sign you're not so grown up, after all?

Two words: poop jokes.

Three more words: lots of them.

1 comment:

Gina Marie said...

You ran a marathon w/o training for the last month? I'm not kidding when I say that's the dumbest f-ing thing I've ever heard.

Girls come around to the poop jokes, I've heard. dont' lose heart.