14 March 2011

Day Four: Dream Big

What was your big childhood dream? Are you still pursuing it? If yes, how? If no, how did you reconcile that within yourself?

When I was 8 or 9, it had become a parlor trick of sorts for the neighborhood kids to ask me what I was going to be when I grew up because my answer was so ridiculous.

My stock answer: "I want to be an engineer, paleontologist, meteorologist, naturalist, professional baseball player, and conductor."

God, what a geek. I guess some things never change.

Today, my answer would be something like: "I want to be an engineer, lawyer, environmental/energy policy analyst, climate activist, and professional baseball player."

The strands that bind my 9 year old self with my 24 year old self are, I think, mostly related to discovering things about the outside world. Paleontologists dig deep and piece together history. Policy analysts do the same with disparate pieces of information to weave together a narrative of what the best courses of action might be.

In 15 years, who knows what my answer will be -- whatever my future aspirations, it's a good bet that being a professional baseball player will still make the list.

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

Yay. I like your response.

I also am commenting solely to tell you that the name of this prompt led to me singing the song "Cuz if you dream, DREAM BIGGGG. Dream as big as the OCEAN BLUUUUUUE." all day yesterday, and I knew that'd make you want to off yourself.

J D said...

OMG, you just really want to get out of dinner with me, don't you? I'm firing up the Pete Yorn Pandora channel just to cope ;o)