20 March 2011

Day 9: Act Like Your 8th Grade Self

What song lyric have you been loving lately?

I recently realized that, had I been interested in getting a tattoo at 18, there would've been an 85% chance that it would've been a lyric of a Dave Matthews Band song. Needless to say, I'm glad that I had no desire to get a tattoo at 18, but it's a good indicator of my constantly shifting musical tastes. Hopefully it's not cyclical.

But there are a few song lyrics that withstand the test of time. Here are some of my favorites.

"There are ghosts of the eyes of all the boys you sent away, they haunt this dusty beach road in the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets, they scream your name at night in the street, your graduation gown lies in rags at your feet, and in the lonely cool before the dawn, you hear their engines roaring on, when you get to the porch, they're gone, on the road, so Mary climb in, it's a town full of losers, I'm pulling outta here to win." "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen



"The deacon caught a draft, the priest just kinda laughed, she crashed into the Easter Mass with her hair done up in broken glass, she was limping left on broken heels and she said, "Father, can I tell your congregation how a resurrection really feels?" Holly was a hoodrat, now you finally know that." "How a Resurrection Really Feels" by the Hold Steady [so yeah, that's why my blog has the title it does...]



"The salty lips of the socialite sisters with their, Continental fingers that've never seen working blisters; oh, I know, they've got their problems, I wish I was one of them." "New Lace Sleeves" by Elvis Costello

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

This is where I tell you that the only reason I am now a Hold Steady fan is because i googled the lyric from your blog name when I first started reading. I was pretty sure you weren't dating anyone named Holly, but didn't know what else the name could possibly reference.

The googling led to a full-blown love affair. So, thanks.

J D said...

Haha, glad my blog self-indulgence has led you to an appreciation of one of the best things to come out of Mpls in a long while ;o)

A life-goal of mine is to date a girl named Holly, btw, so if you know any Hollys willing to be subjected to constant Hold Steady references, let me know!