19 March 2010

Dee See

There is a rich intensity to DC which is palpable only when you're actually there. Which I am now. It's intoxicating knowing that 90% of the people around you CARE about politics and policy. The other 10% are Midwestern tourists. Me included, although I guess I would be the shaded middle part of the Venn diagram. Definitely a different vibe than Minneapolis. But it's what is to be expected, I guess. I could see myself here when I graduate, but not so sure that I would want to establish roots here. In DC, the people are transient.

It's strange being back here. The people are basically the same, the house is the same, but it's still oddly different. I've made my own life since I lived here and so have all of my friends. So it's this weird nostalgic, making new memories sense I'm getting. Part of me is glad to be back, meeting up with friends and seeing the familiar sights. Another part of me is hesitant; thinking that the DC I have in my mind is painted in such a rosy sepia tone to it that it would be tragic to mess with. But I'm glad I visited again. Closure in many regards.

So this is it, I'm happy to be here, but will also be very happy to return to Minneapolis. It has all of the culture of DC but without the "rich intensity." Which probably suits me more.

No comments: