18 November 2009

My Girls

This is a post about my girls, or my top 5 songs with girls' names as titles...

#5. "Laura" by Girls

This is really a heartfelt song, you can almost feel his desperation creeping into the song. I also love how he totally Elvis Costello-cizes "forever" -- they were great in concert last weekend and I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

#4. "Jodi" by the Dodos

Frantic, frantic song with a heart-stopping chorus. And, um, can you say "percussion"? Awesome.

#3. "Anthonio (Fred Falke Remix)" by Annie

Ok, you got me -- "Anthonio" is decidedly a male name, but I couldn't resist throwing this one in. I mean, it's by an artist with a girl's name, so close enough. This is a remix by Fred Falke, who also did an amazingly bassy, driving remix of Grizzly Bear's "Two Weeks" which I also highly recommend. His remixes seem to be very chill versions of, in Annie's case a pretty frenetic original song, and, in Grizzly Bear's case, a very very chill original. He ends up right in the middle, but I love the basslines he tosses in. I'm a sucker for bass.

#2. "Naomi" by Neutral Milk Hotel

Sorry, I know, another repeat-artist from recent posts. But this is the song I was listening to when I got the idea for this post, so I figured I couldn't not put it on. This is off the first NMH album, "On Avery Island," which is a much fuzzier take on their sound than "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea Is" but no less haunting.

#1. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" by Bruce Springsteen

Aww, come on, how could I not! The only weird part is when he talks about needing Rosie's "soft, sweet little girl's tongue" -- the rest, golden.

No comments: