22 December 2010

Best Albums of 2010...20-11

Because I've got to get these Post-it Notes off of my desk.

20 Vampire Weekend "Contra"
19 The Hold Steady "Heaven is Whenever"
There is a great backstory behind how I got a limited edition vinyl copy of this album and it involves: Record Store Day, Treehouse Records, my friend Sophie, and a random act of kindness. For that reason, (and these: "Hurricane J" & "The Weekenders") this album is included in the list.
18 Spoon "Transference"
17 Breathe Owl Breathe "Magic Central"
One of my favorite bands from college (but definitely not "college rock," whatever that is) this whimsical, folky band hails from Michigan and, along with being super nice people, make great music to boot. As an added bonus, check out "Drop and Roll" off of their previous album. One of my favorite songs of all time.

16 She & Him "Volume Two"
Is my love for this album due at least in part to the adorable Zooey Deschanel? Of course it is -- but M. Ward anchors this album with nostalgic 50's-sounding, golden, shimmering riffs (see "Thieves," and "Lingering Still").

15 Communist Daughter "Soundtrack to the End"
The video below (and another one here) are what turned me on to Communist Daughter (not to mention the NMH-referencing band name). Someone please tell me when they play around here next, I can't miss it.

14 LCD Soundsystem "This is Happening"
This is happening: I am listening to "Dance Yrself Clean" and "All I Want."
13 Sleigh Bells "Treats"
Another listen-to-this-loud album. Still trying to figure out if the combination of LOUD guitars with sing-song-y lyrics is a gimmick or genius, but pairing a Funkadelic sample in "Rill Rills" is convincing me of the latter....
12 Girl Talk "All Day"
And just when you put your finger on it...the sample changes and it's on to the next earworm. And while I think using the whole "so-in-demand-the-servers-crashed" device is overused, I'll use it again -- when the Girl Talk album was given away free a few weeks ago, you guessed it, the servers crashed. Luckily, I was eventually able to download the album. For those unfamiliar with Girl Talk, first of all, so proud of you for leaving the Amish. Really am. Girl Talk is a "mashup" artist who combines the pop music you love listening to with pop music you feel guilty about listening to...and makes magic. (Here is a cool site that streams the album and lists the samples as they play)
11 The Tallest Man on Earth "The Wild Hunt" & "Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird EP"
Another unfortunate music journalistic trope is the annual declaration of "The Next Bob Dylan" -- well, here we go again...

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

If I was a grinch, I'd bring up again my hypothesis that Zooey is painfully boring. I'll just remain silent and let you think she's as cool as all her characters and her music...

Tallest Man on Earth! I feel like a cool kid that I actually know him.

J D said...

You know him?! Please introduce me ;o)

Okay, so fair enough, Zooey might not be an intellectual dynamo. But I'd argue that Joanna Newsom is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0iZioD7po&feature=related...