19 May 2010

Vinyl Blotter, Vol. 3

Busy, busy week. Had my last final, wrote a 15 page report on pesticides, celebrated my birthday -- all reasons to visit the record store for a celebratory dig through those dusty crates I love so much. Here are some highlights in this edition of vinyl blotter.

1. Low (David Bowie, Let it Be Record Sale)

I found this late 70's classic at sale that resembled a vinyl garage sale. The owner of Let it Be Records, formerly a brick and mortar record shop in Minneapolis (I remember when it closed, about 5 years ago -- I was running with the radio on and the Current played "Let it Be" as it closed its doors for the last time. Sad indeed.), gets his record selling buddies together every 6 months or so to have a physical sale (they all sell online). It was weird to see old, crusty musicheads in a very vanilla rec room at some trendy condos off of University in St. Paul. Kind of like seeing your grade school teacher at the supermarket. Something just doesn't seem right when you see people outside of their natural habitat. Anyway, this record was rated by Pitchfork (the hipsters!) as the number one record of the 70's. I don't believe them (I think it was Exile on Main St. by the Rolling Stones, London Calling by the Clash, or My Aim is True by Elvis Costello), but it is a good record. You can hear the influence of the awesome Brian Eno, kind of like you can hear the influence of the awesome Mick Ronson on his earlier albums from the 70's. This guy is good. And he officiates fashion walk-offs, what more can you ask for?

2. Green River (Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cheapo)
I don't think I give CCR enough credit. Their music is some of the most instantly recognizable classic rock imaginable, which probably dilutes their image in my mind. But the emotion John Fogerty sings with paired with good ole' swamp rock really stands out listening to it on vinyl.

3. Daptone Gold (Various Artists, Cheapo)
Ok, so Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings get a lot of the attention when it comes to this record label. But like Atmosphere and the Rhymesayers label, Jones and crew only represent the tip of the iceberg when it comes to talent on the rest of the label. It's so nice to hear "authentic" soul and R&B on fresh vinyl. According to the Daptone website, they do it right -- analog recording, meticulous engineering and mixing, and the oft-forgotten artist development. This sampler album of rarities and B-sides is a great introduction to anyone interested in hearing what modern day soul sounds like.

4. Eric Clapton and the Yardbirds with Sonny Boy Williamson (Hymie's)
Honestly, I had not heard of Sonny Boy Williamson before I got this record. But after reading on the back of the album (mp3's don't have a backside, do they?) that he was an early force in the Chicago Blues sound and an influence on Buddy Guy (misspelled on the album as "Buddy Gay" oops) and Muddy Waters, I was sold. And, hey, it was only $3. I've made more costly mistakes in my time, believe me. In addition, the album is a chance to hear a young Eric Clapton (I wonder if this was before he was a god) back a blues legend. The verdict: definitely a keeper and a good find. It was fun to trace the lineage of the blues past my go-to's of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, and B.B. King.

5. Blood on the Tracks (Dylan, Hymie's)
Sure, upon the release of any new album by Bob Dylan, you'll hear fans say, "This is the best album since Blood on the Tracks," and it's a pretty established notion that this album was his best since Blonde on Blonde and established a second peak in his career, then only little more than a decade old. And in my mind, this album deserves to be a touchstone in his career. You can tell that it was borne out of anguish and, unfortunately, angst makes for good music. But it's not only "fuck off" music, which saves this album from novelty status. My favorite is "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go," a song about accepting the inevitable loss of a loved one while still feeling the inevitable pain. So yes, it is unlikely that he will again top this album (he arguably reached this level during his late-90's trilogy, but never surpassed it) and so we can forever say each new album is the best since Blood on the Tracks.

No comments: