30 March 2009

U Dub


As if my chronic indecision (that's indecision not indigestion, thank you) wasn't bad enough wrt law schools, I got into the University of Washington (U Dub colloquially) on Thursday. It may well be my top choice now - just take a look at the campus! I can really imagine spending 3 years (or more) in Seattle, it seems like my kind of city. I'm still going to visit Boulder, CO and Boston, MA in a few weeks - I don't want to not take the chance to visit these great schools; but I am really leaning towards UW right now. A few reasons why:
1. People always tell you to go to the best school you get in to. While "best" is at "best" a subjective measure, I can say pretty definitely that U Dub is the best school in the Pacific Northwest. This is important for jobs.
2. It's got a very good environmental law curriculum. It even has a masters of law in international sustainable development. While it may not have a singularly excellent environmental law program like its neighbor to the south, Lewis and Clark, the overall quality of the law program far outweighs this slight drawback.
3. It's at a big university on a big, beautiful, vibrant campus. I didn't get that at Michigan Tech and I'd like to experience some Pac-10 sports before this is over - Go Huskies! (At least I don't have to stop rooting for the Huskies - MTU Huskies, UW Huskies, what's the difference?)
4. UW has a masters in public administration that you can complete, along with the JD, in 4 years. This would be good for a potential legislative aide like me.
5. Finally, it's all about my gut. I'll have to visit again to make sure, but my gut is telling me, U Dub.